If you have landed here to know which is the best trading app in India in 2021, then you are at right place. In this article, I am providing list of top mobile trading apps based on my trading experience and user feedback.
In my previous article, I wrote about desktop trading platforms, lets discuss about leading trading app providers here.
If you compare the leading stock brokers of India, there is no huge difference in their brokerage charges. What actually differentiates them is the technology they provide to their clients.
Except for day traders who still need desktop based platforms, for all other types of traders and investors, mobile application is good enough on day to day basis.
They need not open their laptop/desktop to check the current price , place the order etc. Advance in technology made it possible to carry out most of the functions with mobile trading apps itself.
Hence, stock brokers are more and more focusing on mobile. And the brokers who are ignoring mobile are suffering badly even after offering lowest brokerage charges demat account.
Before I present you the list of top mobile share trading apps in India, I would like to provide some pointers which you may use in your selection.
Trading apps in India: Points to evaluate
Compatibility with your Mobile Phone:
Check the version of Android and iOS supported by the app. If you have lower version, you may have to update your phone.
Number of App downloads:
Read the reviews of the users at playstore. See what problems people are facing. But be aware that few brokers also try to manipulate the ratings by providing fake positive reviews themselves.
If you use any indicators for technical analysis, double check that the app supports that particular indicators.
List of Best Trading Apps in India
Below is the list of 7 best trading apps in India.
- Zerodha KITE trading app
- Upstox PRO trading app
- Angel Broking Mobile trading app
- 5Paisa Mobile trading app
- FYERS Market trading app
- IIFL Market trading app
- Motilal Oswal Trader trading app
Ranking of Best Trading App in India – 2021
Sometimes when you are traveling, you may still want to transact in stock market. Thankfully, mobile trading apps are life savers. I have shortlisted 7 good trading apps based on the customer ratings.
Now lets explore the features of each one of the trading apps.
1. Zerodha Kite Mobile Trading App
Without doubt, Zerodha KITE is one of the best trading app in India and I use it myself for trading.
Zerodha is the first discount broker of India and went on to become No 1 stock broker of India overtaking likes of ICICI Direct and Sharekhan.
Kite and other superior products helped them achieving this feat within 8 years.
I opened account with Zerodha in year 2012 and been using it since then. I would say I’m pretty satisfied with the quality of products and support they offer.
What I like most in KITE, is the minimalistic user interface (UI). The app is not cluttered with so many information which I rarely use. This helps me in concentrating more on what is required and trade without distraction.
The App is light weight and less resource hungry. When you compare it with stock trading apps of other stock brokers in India, it is almost one third in size!.
More over all the investments at Zerodha is brokerage free, That means, if you buy and do not sell the shares the same day, no brokerage is charged for purchase of shares.
And the brokerage is zero even when you sell them in future. For all the other transaction, they charge Rs 20/executed order irrespective of trade size. I have written a detailed review of Zerodha here.
Disadvantages of Zerodha KITE:
- Users reported minor issues while editing or deleting scrips from the market watch
- Repeated lags in Chart loading is observed
Advantages of Zerodha KITE:
- One-tap universal instrument search for all contracts across all exchanges – NSE, BSE, MCX
- Live streaming data
- Multiple marketwatch and live market depths
- Advanced chart with 100+ indicators
- Years worth of free historical chart data
- Various order types: Regular, AMO, BO (Bracket orders), CO (Cover orders)
- Well suited trading app in India for both beginners and experienced traders
All these factors make Zerodha KITE Best Online Trading App of India.
How much Brokerage can be saved with Zerodha?
Before we go further, let us see how much savings a investor and a trader can do if he opens an account with Zerodha.
Because of the huge savings and the quality of trading app (KITE) that Zerodha offers, they are able to overtake the likes of ICICI Direct and Sharekhan to become India’s largest stock broker within 8 years.
If you plan to invest Rs 10 Lakh, with 0.55% brokerage (ICICIDirect charges this much!), you have to shell out Rs5,500 in brokerage itself where as you pay nil in case of Zerodha (Investments are free at Zerodha).
Hence there will be 100% savings in brokerage charges compared to brokers like ICICI Direct.
Now let us see for intraday, Futures & Options traders, how much can be saved.
Let us assume you buy Rs 10lakh and sell 10lakh worth of shares daily. That means in around 20 trading days of month, total turnover will be 400 lakhs.
ICICI Direct charges 0.0275% hence the brokerage charges per month is Rs400Lakh * 0.0275% which is Rs 11,000.
So yearly it would be,
Rs11,000 * 12 months = Rs 1,32,000
Now Zerodha charges Rs 20/trade for intraday. In Zerodha, brokerage is not based on trade value. For each order they charge Rs20 irrespective of trade value.
Hence per day it would be Rs 40 (Rs20 for buy and Rs20 for sell) and for each month it would be 20* Rs40 = Rs 800
So per year it is Rs 800 * 12 months = Rs 9,600
Hence, traders can save more than 90% of brokerage and indirectly add to their profit.
Because of these savings and advanced yet simple to use mobile app, I recommend opening account with Zerodha. I have been using it since 2012 and pretty satisfied.
Zerodha Account Opening Charges:
- Online through Aadhaar : Rs 200
- Offline by submitting forms : Rs 400
SaveRs200: you can save Rs200 by opening the account online. Use below Link to save Rs 200.
2. Upstox PRO Trading App
Upstox PRO is a mobile app from another leading discount broker of India, Upstox. They were previously known as RKSV securities and based out of Mumbai.
They are backed by prominent investors like Mr. Ratan Tata.
Upstox brokerage charges are also almost similar to that of Zerodha. Read the complete review of Upstox here.
For detailed comparison between Upstox and Zerodha, check out this side by side comparison.
Watch the introductory video on Upstox Mobile app on Youtube:
Disadvantages of Upstox Pro:
- Back office app not available
- You can not check the linked bank account details in the app
- Navigation from one menu to another is little cumbersome
Advantages of Upstox Pro:
- Universal search tool to find simple and complex stocks.
- Charts of multiple intervals, types and drawing styles
- Apply 100+ technical indicators on real-time charts
- Trade directly from charts with the Trade From Charts (TFC) feature
- Set unlimited number of price alerts for instant updates
- Create unlimited number of customized watchlists
- Historic data for last 10 years
Upstox currently waiving off the account opening fee. You can open your account free of cost. Use below button to avail the offer.
3. Angel Broking Online Mobile Trading App
Angel Broking is in broking industry for more than 30+ years. They offer various types of service to their customers like brokerage, insurance and mutual funds etc.
You can get more information at Angel Broking Review.
Earlier to 2019, they followed full service model wherein they charged in terms of percentage of traded value. Now they have slashed the charges and following the discount brokerage model.
Checkout the side by side comparison of Angel Broking and Zerodha.
Checkout the Angel Broking Trading app related video below,
Disadvantages of Angel Broking App:
- Not so appealing User Interface
- Size of app is more than 22MB which is on higher side comparatively
Advantages of Angel Broking App:
- View multiple Index with real time prices, Streaming Market Watch
- Intraday charts & news, live updates about top-gainers & losers
- Create customized device watchlists
- Access last 10 transactions for Ledger, DP and Funds reports directly from the app
- Transfer funds & securities from a single place
OFFER : Currently, account opening fee is waived off for accounts opened in online mode. Also, first year Annual Maintenance Charge (AMC) for first year also waived off.
To avail this offer, use below button to open account.
4. 5Paisa Online Mobile Trading App
5Paisa is the discount broker promoted by IIFL (India Infoline). They charge at Rs 20/executed order, comparable to Zerodha and Upstox. However, delivery brokerage is not Zero. Read more about them at 5Paisa Review
Best thing I like about it is, they provide the guest login feature. One can check its features (offcourse, limited features only) without opening account with them.
Check out how 5Paisa app looks in this video,
Disadvantages of 5Paisa Mobile App:
- The app needs high internet speed especially while loading the charts. Hence may not be suitable for users with low internet speed,
- No 15 min timeframe candles
Advantages of 5Paisa Mobile App:
- Easy Demat Account opening feature from the app
- Live stock market quotes from NSE & BSE like those in ET Markets
- Auto Investor feature that builds a fully customised mutual fund investment portfolio
- Invest in top Mutual Funds through easy screening tools with our free account
5. FYERS MARKETS Online Trading App
FYERS is a Bangalore based discount stock broker. They started their operation quite late compared to other discount brokers and hence missed out the first to market opportunity,
But that has not stopped them from developing one of the outstanding mobile trading app of India. They have invested their focus and resources in building a premier mobile trading app.
Read the detailed information at FYERS Review.
Disadvantages of FYERS MARKETS
- App is not updated very frequently by the broker
- No price alert feature is provided
Advantages of FYERS MARKETS
- 20+ Years of Historical EOD Charts
- 9+ Months of Historical Intraday Charts
- Indicator templates for user convenience
- Multiple watchlists, Stock Screeners & Heat Maps
- Options Calculator
6. India Infoline (IIFL) MARKETS Trading App
India Infoline is a very reputed full service stock broker of India who are into the brokerage business since 1995.
Anyone looking to something more like research and recommendations can consider IIFL. Being a full broker, IIFL offers personalised service to each one of their clients.
But the brokerage charges are higher compared to discount brokers like Zerodha. I have written detailed review of IIFL in this post.
You can feel the features of IIFL Markets trading app in the below video.
Disadvantages of IIFL MARKETS
- App is designed to logout after every 15-20 minutes of inactivity – It sometimes annoying
- One can not buy NCDs/Bonds through the app
Advantages of IIFL MARKETS
- One tap information about the stock. All leading financial markets of India like BSE, NSE, NCDEX, and MCX are included along with gainers and losers and many more data sets
- Buzz – Get to know the latest developments, updates of live markets on a single tap
- Multiple, customizable watchlists : Handle multiple segments like options, futures, cash, currency in the same watchlist, and it is customizable
- Stock tips that are backed with research and complete stock analysis. Stock tips that help to take a better decision
7. Motilal Oswal Trader App
Motilal Oswal (MOSL) is another major stock broker of India with strong network of branches and sub brokers in more than 1700 locations. They are in the brokerage industry since 1987.
They have wide range of products such as equity, mutual funds, life insurance, IPO, bonds, currency and Portfolio Management Services (PMS).
They invest considerable amount of their revenue for research (about 10%) and hence their research papers are considered good.
If you are new to stock market and need some guidance and don’t mind paying some extra brokerage, you can consider Motilal Oswal.
Again the brokerage is high compared to discount brokers. Read detailed review of Motilal Oswal here.
The MOSL App is available for both Android and iOS versions.
Disadvantages of MOSL Mobile App:
- App interface is not updated very frequently
- Charting is below average in comparison to other brokers
Advantages of MOSL Mobile App:
- My wallet provides Single view snapshot of your orders, positions and limits
- Get Quote page with complete information about the company searched by you on NSE & BSE
- Market screeners help you spot the trending stocks
- Algo based products like Trade guide signal, Option Writer, Option Decoder & ACE
- Execute multiple order from single click through bulk order functionality
Sharekhan is well known broker in India and it is very likely that you would have seen one of the outlets of theirs in your city/town.
However the big concern is their brokerage. The basic brokerage plan is very expensive and their basic plan levies 0.10% for delivery brokerage.
It is unbelievable!. For buying Rs 10 lakh worth of shares, one need to shell out Rs 10,000 and another Rs10,000 for selling. While one can carry out the same process with Zero brokerage at Zerodha. But without any argument, the Sharekhan Pro is one of the best stock market app in India as far as features are provided. One can carryout multiple things using the single app.
- App displays one one 1 BID/ASK rate against 5 in other apps and also the volume of bid/ask is not provided
- EQ ledger balance can not be viewed in app.
- After Market Order (AMO) can not be placed via the app.
- Enhanced live charts (Renko, Line, Candlestick, Bar, Area) with more time frames (ranging from 1 minute to 1 year)
- Place different types of orders – Normal Order, Sell against Margin (SAM), Big Trade, Big Trade Plus, Bracket orders (BO)
- Access to all financial data, portfolio, watchlist, mutual funds, MarketWatch, reports, IPO, indices, market stats, share market news etc.
- Create, pause, and modify your SIPs anytime you want
Best Trading Apps in India : Final thoughts
Mobile trading has increasingly become common nowadays. Traders/investors have started to incline more towards the broker providing best online trading mobile app.
I personally trade with Zerodha Kite and also use Upstox Pro app as secondary one. Hence I am little bit biased to state that I find Zerodha Kite as best trading app in India. Offcourse you need to open account with Zerodha to use it (they do not provide guest login).
If you are already using any other trading app (probably top 10 trading apps of India), please share your experience and ratings through comments.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Best Trading App In India
Question1. What is a trading app?
Answser : A trading app is a software built for mobile users for Android and/or iOS platform which helps in executing buy or sell transactions on stock exchanges.
Question2. What are the uses of trading app?
Answser : Trading Apps provide mobility to traders who are on the move on most of the time. Traders/Investors need not be in front of computers all the time watching the market. They can watch, monitor their portfolio and execute any trade if required.
Question4. Why Zerodha KITE is best Trading App of India?
Answser : Considering the performance in key areas such as speed, features, resource usage, usablility and reviews, Zerodha Kite provides better performance than any other mobile trading app from other brokers. It provides basic features like tracking portfolio and advance options like trading from chart.
Question5. Which is Trading App is best for beginners?
Answser : Both Zerodha Kite and Upstox Pro are good trading app for beginners as they are clutter free and easy to access with minimal resource requirement.
Question6. Which is Trading App is most suited for investors?
Answser : IIFL martkets is most suited for investors with resource reports and other investment products can easily be accessed through the app itself
Question7. Which is most downloaded Trading App ?
Answser : Zerodha Kite is the most downloaded and used trading app in India with more than 50 Lakh+ download at playstore and has been the No.1 choice of the traders for past few years.
Which is the Best Trading App In India? : Summary
1. Zerodha KITE trading app
2. Upstox PRO trading app
3. Angel Broking Mobile trading app
4. 5Paisa Mobile trading app
5. FYERS Market trading app
6. IIFL Market trading app
7. Motilal Oswal Trader trading app
- 1 Best Trading App In India – 2021
- 2 Trading apps in India: Points to evaluate
- 3 List of Best Trading Apps in India
- 4 Ranking of Best Trading App in India – 2021
- 5 1. Zerodha Kite Mobile Trading App
- 6 2. Upstox PRO Trading App
- 7 3. Angel Broking Online Mobile Trading App
- 8 4. 5Paisa Online Mobile Trading App
- 9 5. FYERS MARKETS Online Trading App
- 10 6. India Infoline (IIFL) MARKETS Trading App
- 11 7. Motilal Oswal Trader App
- 12 8. Sharekhan Mobile Trading App
- 13 Best Trading Apps in India : Final thoughts
- 14 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Best Trading App In India
- 14.1 Question1. What is a trading app?
- 14.2 Question2. What are the uses of trading app?
- 14.3 Question4. Why Zerodha KITE is best Trading App of India?
- 14.4 Question5. Which is Trading App is best for beginners?
- 14.5 Question6. Which is Trading App is most suited for investors?
- 14.6 Question7. Which is most downloaded Trading App ?
- 14.7 Which is the Best Trading App In India? : Summary
- 14.8 1. Zerodha KITE trading app
- 14.9 2. Upstox PRO trading app
- 14.10 3. Angel Broking Mobile trading app
- 14.11 4. 5Paisa Mobile trading app
- 14.12 5. FYERS Market trading app
- 14.13 6. IIFL Market trading app
- 14.14 7. Motilal Oswal Trader trading app
- 15 Best Trading Apps of India