Costs Futures for Frontliners Covers
Futures for Frontliners will ensure that when you get your semester bill from the community college, the following items will be free to you:
- In-district tuition - Free
- Mandatory fees (fees charged to all students per semester or per hour) - Free
- Contact hours (extra charges for certain courses and programs) - Free
Futures for Frontliners is a last-dollar program. That means that any Pell Grant funds and tuition-restricted scholarships or awards (with the exception of the Tuition Incentive Program (TIP)) you receive are applied to your tuition and fees bill first, with Futures for Frontliners paying the remaining in-district tuition, mandatory fees, or contact hours not covered. If you dont qualify for a Pell Grant or tuition-restricted scholarships or awards, Futures for Frontliners will pay the full cost of in-district tuition, mandatory fees, and contact hours.
The following are not to be subtracted from the calculation of the award:
- The Michigan Education Trust (MET)
- Promise Zones
- Non-tuition restrict gift aid or awards, such as:
- Student loans
- Work study
- Qualified withdrawals from an education savings account
- Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
- Foundation, institutional, and/or private scholarships
Costs Futures for Frontliners Does Not Cover
Even as a Futures for Frontliners participant, you will be responsible for the following items.
- Out of district tuition costs.
- If you are considered out-of-district by the community college you plan to attend, your tuition bill will have an out-of-district tuition charge on it.
- Futures for Frontliners only pays the in-district tuition for any of Michigans public community colleges, so you will be responsible for covering the difference between the in-district and out-of-district tuition rates of the community college you plan to attend if you live out of their district and if you do not have other scholarships or awards to cover the difference.
- Attending a community college youre considered in-district for is the best way to ensure free tuition.
- Application and graduation/commencement fees
- Lab fees and course-specific fees
- Fees not charged to all students (i.e., parking fees, fitness center, athletic fees, non-mandatory fees, etc.)
- Textbooks and other course materials
When applying to a community college, ask them to estimate these costs that are not covered by Futures for Frontliners to avoid any surprises when you receive your bill. Also see Are there other costs of going back to school?
If youre not sure for which community college youre considered in-district, visit our List of Colleges to contact the community college nearest you. You can find the email and phone number contact to each college on the same page.
Tell us about you
Find us at the office
Eastmond- Sukel street no. 62, 79540 Hanga Roa, Easter Island
Give us a ring
+74 201 709 645
Mon - Fri, 9:00-15:00